Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Encourage

Several years ago, I noticed that people were designating a word to guide their life for a year.  I played along and chose the word simplify as my first "One Little Word."  I haven't played the game in a few years, but have really been thinking of what type of change I'd like to make in my life this year.  Not a resolution...a change.  Something that will improve my life and the lives of people I connect with at home, church, school, etc. 

My "One Little Word" for this year is ENCOURAGE. 

I want to encourage others with my words and my actions.  I want the people who see me live to see a woman who lifts others up, who puts others before herself, who is a servant in this broken world.  But I also want to do things for myself:  I want to run ina  5K.  I want to lose weight.  I want to be debt free.  I want others to see me meet those goals.  If I can do it...anyone can do it! 

I want to encourage my children and husband to love the Lord.  I want them to see me fall more in love with the Lord. 

I want my children and husband to see me serve others.  I want to serve others with them.

I don't want to be a gossip who attempts to destroy the reputation of another.  I don't want to buy items on credit, using money I don't have, only to struggle to pay for it later.

I want my words and actions to encourage others.  I want to encourage others to rise above the expectations of this world.  I want to encourage others be a better version of themselves--to be more like the person God wants them to be.  

I am going to fail.  I am going to have to ask forgiveness.  But I am so very hopeful that by focusing on the word, the action, of "encourage," I can look back at the end of 2013 and said, "I did it!"   

No comments: