Thursday, January 25, 2007

And some other stuff...

I've had a few funny experiences at school the past few days. Because I'm not committed to sharing one aspect of my life with you, I'll share these stories.

I have several special needs students in my classroom. They are sweet, sweet boys who bring lots of challenges and rewards with them. One day this week, my class was "auditioning" for a play. Their assignment was to stand on a stage and state their name, age, teacher, and what they want to be when they grow up. The other teacher and I heard lots of funny things. After all, they are 7 and 8 years old. The time came for one of my ASD students to have a turn. He has a very quiet, deep voice, so he is difficult to hear when he's 6 inches from your face, much less in the middle of a stage in an auditorium. The other teacher asked him to speak up. Instead of speaking up, he just leaned forward (closer to the edge of the stage) and repeated his name, age, and teacher. When the other teacher asked what he wanted to be when he grew up, we had no problem hearing him say, "RICH!" I can't tell you how much I laughed!

PUBLIC NOTICE FOR PARENTS OF ALL 7 AND 8 YEAR OLDS! 7 and 8 year olds are notorious for repeating everything you say at home at the most inopportune times. Be careful little ears what you hear!!!
I had a parent in the room today. As I was monitoring the students as they worked on an assignment, one of my students said to me (in a not quiet voice mind you) "My momma said if I bring home another F she's gonna beat my ever-loving rear end!!" My response, laughing, was "Well, I guess you'd better work real hard on this test so you don't make a F!" Ah, the joys of being with 7 and 8 year olds all day.

There is great dialog over at: http://karianna.clubmom.com/karianna_spectrum/ if you're interested in reading about special needs (particularly ASD kids) kids and their parents. It's been very enlightening to me as a teacher to learn more about the struggles that the parents have at home and their concerns for their children. It has given me a new perspective when I deal with the parents and their kids in an educational setting.

Let me know you've stopped by. I'll be posting more soon.

2 comments:

Wil's Wheels said...

Judging from the comment you made on my blog, you must be a dream of a teacher. Thanks for stopping by "my place" and feel free to visit anytime. I'll be back to see you.

Wil's Wheels said...

I do not why I am showing up as "prr" and anon. It 's Melody at http://slurpinglife.typepad.com/