Friday, January 26, 2007

Baby M returns

Yes, we're having those moments of major push for independence. Yes, we're saying "NO, NO, NO, NO, NO" and pursing our lips together so that no one can force feed us anymore. Yes, we're throwing our cup down in protest when we don't get what we want.

But, tonight something magical happened. M was so tired (SOOOOO tired) and so grouchy. I decided to put her to bed 30 minutes early and possibly face the punishment in the morning. I put her pajamas on as she screamed and kicked her feet and wiggled around the changing table. As I held her, I reached into her crib for her special lovies and her paci. I decided I'd try to rock her for just a few special minutes before I put her down. (On a side note, she's NEVER been a rock-me-to-sleep kind of kid) We snuggled into her rocking chair and held each other for nearly half an hour. Ahhhhh, to feel her weight in my arms. To feel her gentle breath against my neck. To smell that sweet baby smell. To have my sweet, sweet baby back for a few minutes. I can't tell you the joy. I will always remember those moments tonight.

Then she cried and cried in her sleep. I KNEW something wasn't right (usually if she cries, she's sitting up and it gets loud and louder and LOUDER), so I went to check on her. She'd pooped in her sleep, so I had to get her up and change her. Wouldn't you know she peed while the diaper was off?! Then I had to turn the lights on, change her pajamas, change the changing table cover, and on and on and on. Luckily, she handled it well (maybe it was moment of rocking-reconnection that helped!) and let me hold her for a few more minutes before putting her back down.

I'm glad it's Friday and we get a few days together. We're taking it easy this weekend. All three of us need some rest. H was a true friend this morning. A friend of ours was super sick and needed H to take him to the ER. H left the house around 4:45. I single-parented the morning shift, which is no small feat--my hat's off to single parents! Luckily, thankfully, our friend is doing fine now. I'm glad H was able to take care of his buddy. H is so kind--he even made black cherry jello and took it to him during his lunch hour today. Trust me, to H, that's some serious special treatment.

Let me know what you're doing this weekend. How do your time with your families and friends?

No comments: