Sunday, January 1, 2012

01/01/12

Good heavens!

Who knew that when I started this blog years ago I'd neglect it so badly? Facebook will do that, I suppose. :) It's so easy to just send a little sentence out than it is to take the time to compose an actual blog post. But I miss this. I miss this place of keeping records. Of putting complete thoughts out there. Of sharing.

Perhaps all my blog friend readers have gone away. Perhaps FB is easier for everyone. Yet, I want to return to this place. I'll start over. Start at the beginning and build again.

11 Thoughts from 2011.

1. Luke went from screaming infant to fun toddler. He's all boy, all the time. He loves to throw things. He moves and shakes all the time. At 13 months, he refuses to walk, perferring to crawl everywhere. He still loves to be held and LOVES attention. He loves to eat. His favorite foods are barbeque, hotdogs, fruits and veggies. Although you'd be hardpressed to find a food he refuses. He seems to have some food allergies: definitely to peanut butter and possibly a milk intolerance. We call him Buddy almost all of the time. We call him that directly and also when we are talking about him. He is delightful and difficult all wrapped in one package.

2. Meryt went from preschooler to elementary schooler right before my eyes. She loves school. She remembers everything. She had kidney surgery in June and seems to be "cured" from her kidney trouble. She's still a little H in almost all aspects. She's so fun to be around, most of the time. Unlike Luke, the only things she loves to eat are sweets and she perfers more quiet activities. Like Luke, she's delightful and difficult all wrapped in one package.

3. We've switched pediatricians. A number of factors helped us make this decision. I'm positive this is the right decision for our children and our family.

4. My dad (OB) had a double lung transplant in January 2011. In just a few days, we will celebrate his 1 year anniversary. What a year it's been! While a tremendous challenge for our entire family, it also brought some wonderful experiences for all of us. We were able to visit several times while he was recovering and enjoy many beautiful things the city where the transplant took place had to offer. Those will be some of my favorite memories.

5. We took the children to Disney World during Thanksgiving break. What an incredible experience for all of us!

6. H had an opportunity to take on a part time job. This has been both a wonderful and difficult adjustment for our family.

7. As the year came to a close, I realized that our schedule was packed full of things that did not bring joy to our family. In fact, all of the extra things made me a bit grouchy and mean to Luke and Meryt. That discovery forced me to evaluate my priorities. My one goal for 2012 is to commit only to things which bring joy to our family.

8. Meryt asked, on more than one occassion, "WHERE are we eating dinner tonight?" Major Mom failure.

9. In October, H and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary. I CLEARLY remember when we were newly weds meeting someone who had been married 7 years. I remember thinking, "We'll never make it." Not only did we make it to 7, but we've cleared the decade mark. It's not easy, but it's worth it. Most of the time.

10. Luke went from his "Aunt P" to a home day care this fall. It was a difficult decision, but a good one. He loves going to "school" and loves being around the other children. There are 2 boys that are just a bit older than he is. He loves playing with them and being outside.

11. 2011 was a busy, hectic year for the Benson family....full of family and other stuff. We are looking forward to 2012, slowing down, and being together.

2 comments:

Kyla said...

We celebrated our 10 year on 2011, too, back in May. Seems like it went by in a blink.

Happy New Year!

Allyson said...

I'm so happy to see you back! I love reading your blog...keep the posts coming. :) Speaking of which, I am behind on mine as well.