Sunday, January 8, 2012

Our First Pinterest Home Improvement Project

H and I complete our first pinterest inspired home improvement project today! And we didn't even fight about it!! Can I get a "Praise God!" ?
A friend of ours has the neatest way to display her child's school/art work. I told H I wanted to do the same thing, but he was NOT okay with putting that many holes in our walls. I wondered about using a frame to hold the wires, but knew I'd never be able to get him to 'see my vision.' When he left the house, I scurried to pinterest and found a perfect example of what I wanted to "tweak" to make our own. When he saw it, he loved it!
Honestly, I think this is the first time in 10 years of marriage that MY vision came to be exactly like I wanted it. Normally when I share an improvement idea with H, he takes my idea and runs with it and it ends up not being at all what I'd envisioned. Poor me. :)
So, this is is what one wall looked like prior to the project:
This is Luke's corner where his booster seat is. On one wall are three little triangular vases and a framed shadow box with dried flowers. I still like that. One the wall near the window is a wooden piece of art with flowers painted on it. On the other side of the window is a plate rack that holds four plates. Luke is modeling for you.
We took the wooden piece down and put up a large (24x36) open backed frame. H used eyelets and three pieces of large gauge jewelry wire to create places to "hang" the kids' artwork or school work. Hi, Luke! :)
I bought clips in the scrapbook section at Hobby Lobby to hold the papers. Here are a few things that were stuck on the fridge. Luke is wondering why we keep taking pictures of the wall.
There isn't a great place to take a picture of the tiny dining room. The frames are HUGE, but they look so great in here. I am so excited and can't wait to fill them up with current work from the kids.
I keep thinking of all kinds of fun things to do with these. A few years ago, Meryt and I made 14 "Valentines" out of my old scrapbook stuff. It would be fun to do that again and put them up. Maybe H and I could write something we love about each kid and they could read one each day starting Feb. 1?
During Christmas, we can hang up our Christmas cards and our 25 days of Christmas envelopes. M loves to paint seasonal decorations, so there will always be something she's created up there.
And just in case you wondered what Luke thought about all this:

He blew us a kiss of approval.