Saturday, November 22, 2008

Patient Update

Frustration set in this morning, as we all knew it would. We weren't sure when it would hit, but we knew it was coming.

H was sweet enough to get up with M this morning so I could sleep in a little. A little turned in to 2 extra hours of sleep for me! Thank you, H!!!!

When I finally emerged from my slumber, M was...agitated. We couldn't really engage her in anything. She was tired of watching TV, but when I turned the TV off, there was a temper tantrum. She asked for a cinnamon roll, but when I gave it to her, she was screaming because that's NOT what she wanted.

After we were done with the cinnamon roll she DID NOT want, I brought her a few toys to play with at the table. That lasted for a little while, but not very long.

I put her on the floor. Truthfully, I wasn't really sure what else to do with her. She didn't want me in her face trying to engage her. She wasn't really interested in her toys.

"Can I dance?" she asked.
(insert Mommy's heart breaking)
"No, sweetie. Your cast is on and you can't dance."
"Oh. Can I go in there and listen to my music louder?"
"Sure. Want me to carry you?" my voice trails off as I watch her scoot herself across the floor toward the office where the music is playing.
"No, Mommy. I take myself there."

Ahhh...frustration dissipated just like that. She found a way to move herself! She doesn't have to ask me to move her every time she wants to move. For the past hour and a half, she's happily (did you read that...HAPPILY!) moved herself from one quiet activity to another. She's worn out now and asked for a snack and a movie. As much as I want to turn the TV off, I know her stamina isn't very high yet. And darnnit...she worked hard for over an hour! If she wants a snack and some snuggle time, I think she earned it!

After naps today, we're going to try to run a few errands. If she's up for it. If not, they can wait. But it might do us both good to get out of the house for a couple of hours.

4 comments:

Kyla said...

That's great! I'm sure things will get easier every day. Kids are so resilient.

MG said...

Curious George broke his leg once and had to wheel himself around instead of walking. Do you think Meryt might understand her limitations better if you read to her about how George couldn't dance for awhile too?

Love her cast, by the way!

Arizaphale said...

Good for her. I didn't let my cast slow me down either (now there's a suprise)in fact as I was living in the bush at the time, I even DROVE into the nearest town in my MANUAL car!!!! It was my left leg in the cast so once I'd put the clutch in and got going, I just let it stall at the other end :-)I even went to a dance with my cast on and I have pictures of me DANCING!!!!
Some may say stupid....

Christina said...

She's not going to let anything stand in her way, is she? That's awesome - you go, Meryt!