Tuesday, October 12, 2010

5 Things about my Favorite 5 Year old

Who is this stranger that robbed me of my baby? I just can not believe M is five today. It's 4:19 PM right now as I type and five years ago, she was still part of me, not quite yet ready to enter the world. But it wouldn't be long. Not long at all.

Sort of like the past five years. Not long. Not long at all.

I don't want to forget her at this stage. I always thought four was my favorite age, but I'm adjusting my thinking. I L.O.V.E. five (or at least the few weeks leading up for five!).

Here are five things about my favorite five year old:

1.) She loves to read.
She loves looking at books and trying to retell the story. If she doesn't know something or can't remember the details about a certain part of the story, she'll say, "You read this part to me." All of a sudden, letters and sounds mean something to her. She's beginning to hear sounds when words are presented orally and can remember how to spell the words she's interested in (names of friends, family members and pets, zoo, cat, dog, etc). If I say "zero" she'll say, "zero starts with z." Substitute a myriad of words and you'll have an understanding of our conversations lately.


2. She's really into independent play.

She'll play in the tub for hours with empty bottles or a bath doll. She'll be gone for a while and when I find her, she's got a variety of toys spread out and she's playing away. She gets frustrated with me when I play with her because I don't play "right." It's easier for her if I just stay away so she doesn't have to tell me how to do everything.



3. Speaking of independent...she's just really independent.
Since we let her pick out her own tooth paste (why, oh why did I not do that MONTHS ago?), she's brushing her teeth at least twice a day without help. She's learning how to wash her own hair. She's getting pretty good at choosing her own snack from the fridge (with guidelines: MUST BE HEALTHY!). She is learning how to pour her own beverage. She can get herself dressed (terrible as this is, I still pick out her clothes each morning). Five is going to be a good year for her.



4. She LOVES.
That's about as blanket as I can get. She is one of the most loving children I've ever met. She was involved in a situation at school in which some little boys said some very unkind things to her. As H and I questioned her about the situation, she would not say anything to get the little boys into trouble. It was sweet in an innocent way (even though we really needed to get to the bottom of the conversation!!! Thankfully, a teacher overheard it an intervened. She was the one who wanted us to question M.). She loves us and hugs us all the time. She loves our pets and is very affectionate to them. She can't wait for Luke to get her and she loves him already. She loves to learn Bible stories and hymns. I love watching her in church as things become more and more familiar to her. If there was one word to describe M, I would chose LOVE.









5. A few details. (Answers by M!)
Favorite Show: Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
Favorite Drink: Punch
Favorite Food: Chips n Cheese
Favorite Book: Dora Stories
Favorite Friend: Gracen
Favorite Toy: Horse Purse and Doll house
Favorite Movie: Strawberry Shortcake
Favorite Thing to Do: Swim
Favorite Color: Blue
Favorite Animal: Horses
Favorite Song: Precious Blood of Jesus (Nothing but the blood of Jesus)


Happy Birthday, M. I couldn't have imagined who you would be at 5. I certainly can't imagine who you will be at 10, 15, or 25. But I know I love you today as much as I did the very first time I held you in my arms. And I know I will love you at every single stage in your life. I am so proud of you. I am so proud of who you are becoming.

3 comments:

Kyla said...

Five is pretty fun...though today my FIVE year old kissed a boy in gym class because she was "looking for a little romance". 5 is the new 15, evidently. LOL.

Arizaphale said...

Oh Nat!!! That last picture!!!!! Be still my heart she is so beautiful!!!! What a wonderful tribute. They are such a light in our lives these daughters of ours aren't they? And lucky you!!!! You're going to have another baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PS: enjoy picking out her clothes while you can :-DDDDD

Christina said...

Such a sweet tribute for your sweet girl! You will have fun looking back on this together one day. She sounds like such a delight. Happy birthday, M!