Thursday, January 15, 2009

Project 365, venting

File this post under "and other stuff"

Well, I'm not sure I'll be able to get the Project 365 kit. I'm okay with that, really. I was looking forward to using it to showcase all my pictures. But I can live without it. REALLY. I.CAN.LIVE.WITHOUT.THIS.KIT.

So, when we were in the big city Tuesday, we went to my favorite scrapbook store. Did I mention it is my FAVORITE scrapbook store? Well, it is. My most favorite, actually.

And I found a sweet journal with 15o pages in it. The dimensions said 6x9. I thought that would be good. I'd get 300 pages (front and back). It does have a spiral, but I figured I could trim the pictures a smidgen to fit on the pages. I know, I know...I'll have 365 pictures. I thought I could do a few pages with double pictures or make some flaps, etc, etc, etc. Because I'm that good, you know.

Hahaha.

I ASSUMED the pages were blank.

They are not. They are lined.

Okay, okay. I took a deep breath. I can deal with this.

So last night, I spent several hours decorating the cover.

Tonight I was going to decorate a few pages, get them ready for the pictures, etc. So I got out my handy, dandy ruler. Only to find that the measurements are NOT 6x9. More like somewhere around 5.675 by almost 9.

Still not panicking yet.

I turned my ruler around and tried again. Only the numbers don't really make sense when you read them backwards. So I reverted to the correct way to use the ruler and tried a third time.

Still not 6 x 9.

Now I've got myself a real dilemma. I REALLY like this journal. And I've decorated the cover.

I just wish I'd decorated it for another purpose.

I could still use this journal. Even though it has lines and even though it's not quite what I wanted. I did spend $15 on it and I don't want to waste my money. Probably my biggest problem is that I tend to fill my frame with my image so I don't have lots of cropping room to crop my pictures to a smaller size.

I'm not opposed to creating more of an altered book type of project.

It's just not quite how I'd envisioned this playing out, ya know? I thought I'd have this cool little book with blank snow colored pages filled with my pictures and my words.

I could turn it so that it is almost 9 x 5.5ish. Not to play devil's advocate, but my cover doesn't really go with that orientation.

So I've learned a lesson here. An important lesson.

My plan stinks. I jumped in feet first, thinking I had everything under control. I don't have anything under control.

I thought I knew where I was (am) going to take this whole Project 365 thing, but the truth of the matter is I have no idea what each day will unfold.

Just like this empty journal that is not what I thought it was, this year, this project holds so much potential that I can not even fathom. I have no idea what is coming. What will happen. What will fill the pages of this journal.

So, despite that fact that it is not exactly what I wanted, I'm going to go with it. I will use it. I will alter it and allow it to alter me.

I will trust.

Trust the process.

Trust that this will work out.

Trust that I do not have to be in control because the One who controls is more powerful, more wonderful, more extraordinary than I could begin to imagine.

Trust.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Oh Natalie!

I hate when things just don't work out the way that you want them too -- it is just so FRUSTRATING!

Maybe you could order a second Journal to match the one that you have and complete it for the second half of the year? Then you would only need to add in a few pages to each to get to 365, and you wouldn't have to cram things onto the pages?

I need to do something to get my shots all printed and things recorded for last year and this year too...otherwise I will never be able to remember!

Arizaphale said...

Printing photos? Putting them in scrap books? What a concept. My decorated pages from last year are still blank :-(
I think you have a really good attitude to the way things have worked out however. Looking forward to seeing th cover!