Friday, June 26, 2009

Fulfillment

I'm taking a class at BPS called The Challenge of Me. The challenge is to create a scrapbook about myself. This will be a place where I document all sorts of things about myself. Perhaps one day M will read it and learn a little bit more about me in a different light: as a woman, a wife, a friend, my hopes and dreams, etc.

Today is our first "assignment." We're going to visit my parents for 10 days. In order to keep up with my "assignments," I'm going to do my writing on this blog. Then when I get home, I can just print off my words, add my picture and my assigned embellishments. So, here goes.


ful-fill-ment:
–noun
1. the act or state of fulfilling: to witness the fulfillment of a dream; to achieve fulfillment of one's hopes.
2. the state or quality of being fulfilled; completion; realization: a vague plan that had no hope of fulfillment.


The definition of fulfillment definitely causes me to pause and consider what it is in this life that fulfills me. Completion, realization. At the end of my life, when I have completed this journey, what is it that I want to have accomplished? What dreams do I want to see come to realization?

So many of these wonderful dreams I live every day: I am a wife. I am a mother. I am a friend. I am a teacher. Those roles fulfill me.

There are other things that fulfill me: creating, taking pictures, documenting, knitting, sewing. These things satisfy me.

There are still things I strive for as I search for fulfillment. Some are major. Some are tiny.
I want to love Jesus more. I want others to know I love Jesus.
I want to be thankful in the calm and in the storm.
I want M to come to love Jesus.
I want to travel to other parts of this world. I want to see how other cultures live. Not the tourist attractions, but the real people of those cultures.
I want to understand my small part in this big world. What impact am I making?
I want to take a photography class at a local college.
I want to knit a pair of socks.
I want to run in a 5K.

At the end, when I am looking back, I want to say that I have done all that I've been called to do. That I didn't hide from any challenge. That I have completed the race set before me. Then I will be fulfilled.

1 comment:

Andi said...

You are so brave and confident...to know what fulfills you, what you want out of life...and to speak (type) those words...brave.