Monday, December 28, 2009

Thinking about Resolutions

As 2009 comes to a close and the end of a decade quickly approaches, I'm really thinking about what resolutions I should make. There are, without a doubt, areas in my life which need major renovations. Do you make and follow through with resolutions? Are they a January only thing, made with good intention, but then life happens and they fall by the wayside as the busy-ness of the day takes over?

I'm thinking about my defining word for 2010--and I want it to be a good one. One that is really reflective, like simplify was in 2008. Ali Edwards does a wonderful job of explaining the idea of one little word. Discovery comes to mind when I think about my one little word for 2010. I've let things slide that I really need to get a handle on, but I want to discover why I have such a hard time with controlling the clutter, impulsive spending, the need for MORE, why I am not content with what I have.

By using a word to define my year, I'm finding that I don't have a desire to make resolutions. I know there are things I want to accomplish:
--following FlyLady again so the house will be under control. I'm so very, very tired of living in CHAOS. (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome!)
--paying down my credit card debt by at least half during 2010.

I don't just want to DO these two things, I want to know why I have such a hard time keeping clutter at bay. Why do I hate cleaning so much that I'd rather live in chaos than just take the time to straighten, purge, and clean? Why am I so irresponsible with my money?

Both of these "goals," if you will, trickle down into so many other things: purging the extra junk around here, using what we have instead of buying more, enjoying the things we've been blessed with.

So, at the beginning of this new decade, I'm going to focus on discovery. On learning more about who I am and the role I play in this life that I live. I think it's going to be a very good year.

2 comments:

Kyla said...

I don't really do resolutions, but those sound like good ones.

I can't hang with the fly lady stuff personally, it just isn't me. My house tends to lean towards organized chaos, but it gives me the time and space to spend time with the family, do my school work, volunteer, ect. so it is worth it. When I have to make it spic and span, I do. Otherwise, we're living in the lived in look. One day our house will be empty, we'll both be out of school, and there will be plenty of time to have a sink so clean I can see myself in it. LOL.

Arizaphale said...

I don't do resolutions....they never amount to anything. I do however feel your need to know 'why' I (my house, my finances) am so out of control a lot of the time when I am indeed a great desirer of control :-).
Like Kyla I have had to understand that I can't DO everything and I too go for the lived in look. Sometimes however I wonder as I sit at my computer, why I am doing THIS rather than weeding the garden as I said I was going to do an hour ago so I could make an impact before the sun gets reaalllly fierce...
Let me know if you discover anything that could help ME too!!!!!