Friday, April 27, 2007

Funniness

We're watching Fern Gully II as part of our Great Kapok Tree unit.

Here are two funny things that were said:

Me: He said endangered species. What does that mean?
Student 1: He's in danger!
Me: Of what?
Student 2: SPECIES!!!
(Thankfully one of my other students really did know what endangered species meant)

Batty, one of the characters, is acting particularly amusing in this movie.
One of my students said:"He's acting very crazy in this EPISODE!"
How in the world does she know the word episode????

I thought I was going to wet my pants.

I'm in class this weekend. My professor is awesome. She's forcing us to deal with racism/colorism issues--as teachers, that is so important for us to be aware of. I'd like to think I'm not a racist (which I REALLY am not, thanks for asking), but I do have thoughts about race. My experiences as a white woman, teacher, mother, wife, etc, have molded me into the person I am. My students' experiences as black boys and girls, hispanic boys, asian girls, white boys and girls mold who they are. Their cultures are different from my own. It's important for me to recognize that and to help them recognize the beauty in themselves. Whew...stepping off my soapbox now.

We wrote beautiful poems tonight called autobio-poems. I'll share mine tomorrow and the "recipe" for it. It would be a great thing to do for yourself or to have your own children write. You might be surprised.

2 comments:

RC said...

The Fern Gully story was funny!

Christina said...

What grade do you teach, Natalie?

I agree with you about the racism issue. I think it's sad that our society tries to suppress any differences among us and make us all into cookie-cutter people. Recognizing the differences between each race/ethnicity/culture is NOT racism....it's a respect for what makes each person unique! As long as race continues to be an issue, racism will continue to plague us.

Can't wait to read your poem!