Saturday, April 5, 2008

Going to the hospital

As my dear friend, Andi, pointed out: she knew something was wrong when I wasn't blogging.

Oh, friends, something was wrong, alright.

Almost four weeks ago, M spiked a high fever. We treated the culprit.

Three weeks ago, M spiked a high fever. Culprit: UTI. Lots of finger pricking, catherizations, several doctor's appointments. We thought we cleared it up.

Until this:

turned into a four day, three night trip to the hospital. Last Monday (3/31), M spiked yet another fever. H took her to work with him Tuesday. She exhibited some very strange symptoms, so, thankfully, H took her immediately to our pediatrician. He tested her for strep, flu, UTI, drew blood, got a shot. I took her back to the doctor Wednesday, her WBC count went up, not down, after the shot of antibiotics. We were having trouble controlling her fever and she wasn't making any wet diapers.

This is what the rest of Wednesday looked like:

Yep, straight from the pediatrician's office to the hospital.

Oh, wait...I forgot to mention the cathing at the hospital and the putting in of the IV. She looks rather peaceful now. There was at least one hour of NO peace for anyone around us. Immediately after being cathed again and having an IV put in, M was rolled through the hospital the radiology dept. to have a renal ultrasound. Kidneys look good. "Debris" in the bladder. It took almost 48 hours to find out what that meant.

This is what Thursday looked like:

Friday was definitely our worst day. I was exhausted. M was tired of being poked. My heart was breaking for her. I think we both cried all Friday afternoon. Particularly when our hospital doctor and our nurse said the words "in-patient test on Monday." I'm not medical professional, but if someone says "in-patient" that meant we would STILL BE THERE MONDAY. Complete meltdown in hallway. God is SO good. Someone didn't understand. M will not be having another test for a few weeks.

This is a pitiful picture from late Friday afternoon. New IV port. Much screaming and crying (M and mommy) to get this one in. Her other port was hurting because it had been in for so long.
We had the best medical care we could ask for. Our night nurses weren't the most considerate, but they did a great job. Our day nurses deserve medals. They were amazing.
I was completely humbled while we were in the hospital. There was a little girl there who was 21 months old. She was a premie (born at 25 weeks!). She's in foster care, but has been removed from her foster home because they weren't providing appropriate medical care for her. She got a serious infection while living at that home and has been in the hospital over a month now. She has sitters that come stay with her. M and I met her in the children's play room where her sitter was showing her the big fish tank. She was being pulled around in a radio wagon. M was so jealous. "Mommy, I wide with her!" M told me. I told M that she couldn't ride with that little girl. "But she my fwiend," M replied. I've been praying for that little girl, who is such a fighter--she's had such terrible circumstances in her short little 21 months. I've been praying for her sweet day sitter who comes every day to stay with her and brings her clothes to wear and bows for her hair. That woman is an angel.
Posted by Picasa


Kyla said...

Ohhhh! She is better now, right? Did they figure it out? I'm wishing you guys health and rest. There is nothing so draining as a hospital stay.

Christina said...

Oh Natalie!!! I am so, SO sorry, my friend! What a horrible ordeal for all of you. She looks so tiny and pathatic there. She is home and better now?? What was the cause?? ((Hugs)) and +prayers!+

Arizaphale said...

Well these are two of the best and worst posts I've read for some time. Firstly I was worried about you when you weren't blogging. Then
I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
pleased that your prayers have been answered (pregnancy) and sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sorry that your family has had such a worrying and traumatic time. Thank God for the wonders of medical science.
God Bless you Natalie. Sending prayers and thoughts and well wishes your way!

Maggie said...

It's amazing how little 'big' kids can look when they aren't well. I'm so so so glad that she's on the road to recovery!

Stacy said...

Oh Natalie, I'm so sorry to hear what M has been going through! Poor thing! I hope she is really and truly on the mend now.

And much congratulations on your little bean growing inside you!

susiej said...

THis is just so sad for you, M, and for the little one you met at the hospital. So sorry...

melody is slurping life said...

Natalie, I am so sorry that M went through this. How scary for her and you and H. What exactly caused the "debris" in the bladder?

Those hospital gigs are tough. Love, hugs and prayers...albeit a bit late.