Monday, June 16, 2008

Weight Loss

M and I are visiting my parents this week, so I don't have anything with me for MBS. Instead, I'd like to post about a conversation I had with my friend, Andi.

We were discussing weight loss and how often we hear the words "Just do it!" Our friends, our doctors, our families encourage us by saying, "Natalie, just do it. You KNOW you don't eat healthy. You KNOW you don't make good choices. Change your habits. You can do it. JUST DO IT." Those three words echo in my mind "just do it...just do it...just do it." Then I don't just do it. I eat more potato chips, more cheezits, more chips and salsa.

I can't just do it. Just doing it is not as easy as it sounds. Just doing it doesn't just happen.

I had to come to a certain place before I was ready to just do it. Thankfully I did get there, but it is still not easy. My hands itch to grab that box of cheezits. My mouth waters for chips and salsa.

I can't tell you how many times I joined a weight loss program that counts points and wasn't successful. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that program. Thousands of people are successful counting points. Just not me. My last attempt was last summer when I lost 5 lbs in about 7 weeks. I was working out, eating right, but not using the food to my advantage. To be perfectly honest, I wasn't ready to "just do it."

I'm not sure what happened after the last miscarriage that made me ready this time. When I was pregnant, I told myself that I would join a program in January 2009, after the baby arrived, etc, etc, etc. When I miscarried, the time was just right. I didn't have time to think about it. I made myself an appointment because the time is RIGHT for me now.

For years, I've felt ugly, unsexy, disappointed with myself. I knew I was overeating. I knew my habits were terrible. I knew I was teaching M to have the same unhealthy habits that I have. But I was caught in that vicious cycle of "I'm already fat, what's a few more going to hurt?" Then I'd have a few more and feel fatter. The cycle repeats itself. I still have stinkin' thinkin' even though I am being successful on this program and I have lost 17.6 lbs. I don't feel pretty yet and I definitely don't feel sexy, but I am feeling better. I am beating obesity.

If you have a friend who is overweight or has another type of addiction, I'd like to encourage you to not say "Just do it." Those words are easy to say, but not easy to follow.

6 comments:

Arizaphale said...

My Bestie struggles with weight...and smoking...and I always say the wrong things. Now I have stopped saying anything and just congratulate her when she mentions any milestones or initiatives she has taken. With middle age I am starting to face my own weight demons and I know what you mean. I keep saying, I can do this, I've done it before. And then I don't. I eat for comfort. I am not quite sure how to get to 'that place' but I'm really glad you did.

Rose said...

Natalie, way to go! I think you saw on my other blog (JustAddColor)that I was/am dieting, it took me almost three years to "just do it". I know a lot of it was lack of discipline for me- I really have to be in the mind set and be disciplined to stick with it. So I know what you mean, but since I'm over 40 (shh, don't tell) I have an uphill battle for the rest of my life and I have to eat healthy so that I CAN enjoy my favorite junk foods once in a while. This is the second time that I have dieted (the first time I had A LOT MORE to lose and I did it a year before I became pregnant.) I want to make it my last time. Oh how I understand the cravings - I did the cold turkey thing - so it was nuts a couple of days there - breaking the addiction to sugar and sweets. Now it's just nuts all the time! Almonds, cashews - I can't get enough of them for a healthy snack!

Gosh, just recently I said the wrong thing to a friend. She is feeling encouraged by my dieting and wants to diet, we talked about ways she is starting to jump-start it while she gets fully motivated - dropping additional sugar intake, cutting back in white breads and processed flours, taking in more whole foods including fruits; and I said, you can do this, Baby steps - Just do it! Like you and I, she has a child to set an example for. Like me, she is over forty and her eating habits are crucial to long-term good health as we move into (uh-um) middle-age.

I will add that - for my friend and me, getting a fresh hair cut boosted our self-esteem. We sometimes need to do the girl things that make us feel good. I've even gone out and bought new underwear that I feel sexy in, it made a difference in my attitude knowing what I was wearing underneath my clothes.

Sorry to ramble. I will watch what I say, after all people drive me nuts with other stupid things they say when a person is dieting. I don't want to be them. And now I hope I didn't say anything wrong here! Eek!

Christina said...

this is a great post, Natalie! It's something I struggle with too, but I think I am getting to the point that I'm really READY. And Congrats on your success, both in pounds shed and in your outlook.

Stacy said...

You have done such a great job, Natalie! What a great post, too. I wholeheartedly agree. You have to be mentally prepared for the sacrifices you have to make in order to lose the weight. I need to lose a good 10-15 pounds or buy all new clothes. I can't wear at least 1/2 of my wardrobe, but it is SOOOOO HARD to work out and eat small, low fat portions. I have done it in the past, so I know I can do it. I just need to get there mentally. I think I am almost there, though.

Anonymous said...

i TOTALLY hear you we dont want to hear just do it...we want the constant incouragement......you are doing great and the words i hear is in my head do it for us and our kids we want to be around for them as long as possible...and we want to feel pretty and SEXY.....just to let you know you are beautiful....APD

Andi said...

Still mulling over our conversation myself...I am not ready yet, but I know I am getting there. Soon.

I am SO proud of you! Keep up the GREAT work!!! Soon it will just be a natural part of your life...changing all of your habits is such a good thing! I really am PROUD of you!