Thursday, June 21, 2007

Convicted

I'm a Dr. Phil-adict. I just can't help it. I don't always agree with him, but he makes me laugh and I usually like his in-your-face-deal-with-your-problems approach. Hm...that's probably because I'm the exact opposite. A good nap makes most problems disappear--at least for a while!

So, today's show was about childhood obesity. I wasn't an obese child. H wasn't an obese child. M is definitely not an obese child. But I was completely and totally convicted by the show. Dr. Phil's statistics were staggering about childhood obesity and the problems that are associated with it. Dr. Phil was reading a list of foods one family was feeding their child. He named grilled cheese sandwiches, PB&J and on and on. Some of the foods he listed are M's favorite foods! Not that I think I'm raising a child who loves junk food. I try not to keep too much junk food around the house.

On the other hand, I must be vigilant in my quest for healthiness. My plan must include my daughter so that I teach her healthy habits. Dr. Phil said that the biggest role models for children are, first, the same sex parent and, second, the opposite sex parent. This can not be a household of "do as I say, not as I do." I must walk the road I want M to walk. The training must begin now so that healthy habits are a way of life for this family.

Now a question for you. How do I balance this quest for healthiness? How do I make sure that it does not become an obession? For example, I am enjoying going to the gym in the mornings after breakfast. Well, Tuesday mornings are story hour at the library. Do I take Tuesday morning off from exercising so M has a chance to visit with other children or do I exercise? Do I try to cram several activities in one day and do both? I could exercise after H gets home in the evenings. I don't want my desire to become healthy and lose weight to interfer with the activities that my family enjoys doing. Has anyone else struggled with this? Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Stacy said...

Life is a balancing act. You do need to set a good role model for your children. Exercising, eating heathly, but also doing other sedintary things like reading.

We do have peanut butter sandwiches and grilled cheese sandwiches and macaronni and cheese. Not everyday though...it's usually once a week. We don't usually have chips or candy in our house and my kids are not allowed to drink soda. Even their juice is always diluted with half water. Treats and snacks to them are yogurt, fruit and cheese. I do have a hard time feeding them veggies, though. At least they eat them usually at daycare!

I struggle with an incredible sweet tooth, too. I think we just need to teach all things in moderation.

Kimberly said...

I like Dr. Phil too but I'm usually up too late to catch the morning version and too busy in the evenings to catch his second show. (What does that tell you about my life?) :)

I was chubby as a child and now as an adult I am overweight and struggle constantly with these issues. I was raised on fried chicken, biscuits and gravy and sweet tea so I work hard to make sure that Bryce eats healthier.

I think Stacy is right. It's really a balancing act.

Christina said...

I agree with Stacy and Kimberly, it is a balancing act. But I think as important as it is to teach our children good eating habits, it's equally important to not go overoard with it. Our society has such an unhealthy obsession with weight, and we are bombarded with those "ideals" at every turn. We want them to be healthy...not anorexic or fixated on image. So yes, teach her healthy eating habits and to exerise...but all things in moderation. You don't want it to rule her. Grilled cheese is fine - sometimes. And I say yes, skip the gym sometimes so you can go to story time or whatever other fun activities you would both enjoy. Going to the gym isn't the only way to exercise either - set up the sprinkler, put on your swimsuits, and chase her around the yard!