Sunday, June 24, 2007

Sweet M stories

Time for a few M stories to brighten your day. Well, they brightened my day. I hope they brighten yours, as well.

M is having a total speech explosion right now. She is learning the relationship between words and objects, so she's constantly labeling things (touching a flower and saying flower; holding a purple bottle and saying purple). She's also really enjoying language. She laughs at certain words and repeats them over and over again. She loves to sing and screeches her favorite words in the songs. She's a teaser. She'll "hide" and then jump out to "surprise" you. She thinks that's hilarious.

Yesterday we were eating lunch as a family. She was sitting in the big girl chair beside me and H was across the table from us. H and I were discussing the meaning of life or something equally important like the grocery list when we noticed that M had her fingers spread wide open covering her eyes so she could see between her fingers. When she caught H's eye, she screeched "Pee-boo!" Then she laughed my most favorite belly laugh and covered her face again. It took us about 3 seconds to realize she was initiating peek-a-boo with H! We laughed, so she did it again. And again. And again. H played back. This memory will be one of my favorites.

Most of M's cd's are in the car and we listen to them endlessly as we run errands. One of M's favorite songs on her kid's CD is "Ring around the Rosies." The version on her cd says:

Ring around the rosies
Pocket full of posies
Ashes, ashes,
We all fall down!
Skip around the rosies...
Dance around the rosies...
Hop around the rosies...
Jump around the rosies...
You get the idea. Her FAVORITE part of that song is DOWN! She shrieks the word DOWN! at the top of her lungs in the car. Not my favorite part, I assure you. But it usually makes us both giggle. This morning, I was folding laundry. She was helping me, she's very helpful, you know, by unfolding every towel as I put it down. I wondered if she'd sing with me, so I started that song. She dropped the towel she was unfolding, I mean, helping me fold and began twirling in the den. She went down at the right time. H and I just started making up verses and she twirled and giggled and fell and twirled and giggled and fell and twirled and giggled and fell over and over and over again.
How did she learn these things? She's normally buckled in to her carseat for ring around the rosies. How did she know to turn around and fall down? How did she know to cover her face for peek-a-boo? We normally cover her with her bath towel and say "Where's M?" in a sing-song voice.
I'm amazed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

M is at an amazing age. Just enjoy every second of it...and it sounds as though you are.

Christina said...

Isn't this age with our girls SO MUCH FUN?! They are both really getting clever lately, and they seem so similar. Nadia's not much into music, though...but I get lots of "help" folding lanudry, too! I love the peek-boo story - N's been doing that recently, too, and even playing it with her animals. Ah, sweet times!

Kyla said...

They just suck things up like a sponge! KayTar is experiencing the same sort of explosion. Its just amazing!

Last night BubTar was whining about bedtime, "Whhhhyyyyy?" and KayTar was right behind him saying "Y???" with the EXACT same whiny intonation and holding up the letter Y sign with both hands. Josh and I were cracking up. Great, she knows how to whine now. *lol*

Stacy said...

They are amazing little ones, aren't they. I am amazed when my kids come up with things to show me how smart they are, too.

Laura McIntyre said...

Sounds like you have a little smarty there, i love how she is trying to sing