Saturday, June 16, 2007

Shopping, Weight Loss, a Response, M stories

Here is a random post.

1.) Shopping. The scrapbook store in Atlanta was AMAZING. I want to move myself right smack dab in the middle of the store and never leave. It was amazing. That's all I have to say about it. If you're lucky, I'll post a few pages I make with my new supplies. And, I'm a really lucky wife. H made reservations at my MOST FAVORITE RESTAURANT IN THE WHOLE ENTIRE WORLD FOR DINNER. Honestly, taking a 20 month old wasn't much fun, but I do adore fondue, so we had a great meal.

2.) Weight Loss. Since I'm beginning my third week of WW, I realize that the problem with my obesity is ME. Not the food. Fried chicken strips are NOT the only option on the menu. "Just one more" does NOT mean just one more--it means as much or as often as I want(ed). There is nothing wrong with any of the appliances in my kitchen or my ability to use them--well, okay, the second part of that isn't really true. I'm not much of a cook. I have an emotional relationship with food. When I'm stressed out, I reach for food. When I'm tired, I eat endlessly. When I don't want, am too tired, aren't creative enough to cook, we eat out. Not any more. Those bad habits are changing for once and FOR ALL. Being a working mother and wife is hard, but not hard enough to let it impact my family's health. I must get control of this. I'm raising a daughter. I don't want her to deal with the emotional toll obesity takes on a person. I'm tired of being the fattest person at the pool, the gym, the party, church, wherever. I want to be healthy.

3.) Melodee at The Amazing Shrinking Mom posted a great post about the new diet aid alli that is on the marker. (See link below) Truthfully, I'd consider taking such a drug. It would enable (note the term ENABLE) me to continue to live in my previous eating-out, bad-habit, lazy, crazy, anti-healthy lifestyle. Now that I've joined WW and a gym, I would never consider taking a drug. Walking two miles this morning at the gym fulfills a part of me that I didn't even know was empty. I can not begin to tell you the satisfaction I had when I finished today. When I started walking, I was a bit tired and really didn't want to commit to a long walk. I set the timer on the treadmill for 45 minutes, but told myself I could quit at 20. Who would know? But then I got to 10 minutes and was feeling great. Then fifteen minutes, had to take a pause to guzzle some water, but my body was humming from the exertion. I then decided to walk 2 miles, no matter how long it took. I did quit at 40 minutes, but I was starting to get a tad bit dizzy and was sweating very bad. I had also finished all of my water, so I felt that finishing 5 minutes early wasn't the end of the world. So, 3.5 weeks ago, I absolutely would have considered a drug. Now? Not a chance in ....well, you know what I mean. http://shrinkingmom.clubmom.com/amazing_shrinking_mom/2007/06/diet_aid_alli.html

4.) I know you want a M story. This blog is not all about me, after all.

Today we were hanging out with my dad's family in Atlanta. H brought dessert back with him from lunch and was offering everyone a bite. M was sitting with me across the room. All of a sudden, she was shrieking something at him, but I didn't know what she was saying. Then she jumped out of my lap and raced across the room to H. Then I realized she was saying, "BITE!" He offered everyone in the room a bite of his dessert except her! She was waiting patiently for his offer to her and when it didn't come, she made sure he knew it. Needless to say, she got a bite.

Also, I tried to take a nap with M in my parent's hotel room. She's not a co-sleeper, so I knew the task would be tough. She found it far more humorous to try to put me to nigh-nigh than herself. She would put her pacifier in my mouth, position her snugglies around me and pat me on the head while telling me "Nigh-nigh, Mummy" (that's her new word for me).

4 comments:

Christina said...

What a great post!

Scrapbook store sounds awesome...you're making me want to pull my stuff back out! I have over a year and a half of baby pictures to scrap! Hope you do post some pics of your creations!

I am SO proud of you for the way you your approaching your weight loss and taking ownership for bad habits! I am a comfort eater, too, and I'm trying to curb that. You are an inspiration! You are doing so great with both your eating habits and your exercise.

I always love the M stories! Seriously, our girls are so much alike...those stories could just as easily be about Nadia!

Anonymous said...

Natalie, I second what Christina said "taking ownership for bad habits". In my opinion that is the biggest step.

Exercise truly will become a part of your life you do not want to omit. I've been a pretty avid exerciser for life, but still on those days when I just really don't want to...I begin...and I feel so good when I finish.

BTW, you're doing just right...push yourself a little more as you go along, but always listen to your body. It will speak to you as whether to go or stop.

About the moving sale, I got rid of a BUNCH of stuff. Cabin home decor doesn't work in traditional home decor, so I'll be moving the bare bones. But I get to start decorating again, bit by bit.

Stacy said...

Great post, Natalie! :)

I have an Archivers scrapbook store near me and I really have to stand clear of it. I spend a lot of money everytime I am there!

I am also very proud of you and your weight-loss/healthy lifestyle attitude. Good for you!

M is so cute, too. My kids would have done the same thing...how dare H leave her out! :)

Susie said...

i just wanted you to know that i am so proud of you! you have been doing so great with your excercise and healthy eating. we each have our crutches in life that we go to and it is really neat to see you identify yours. we all have idols of our heart that we turn to instead of Christ. just remember through it all, that the Lord has fearfully and wonderfully made you and your identity does not lie in what you eat or don't eat or whether you went to the gym or not. It lies in Christ! He has made you for Himself and you are His! I am glad you are my gym buddy!